Friday, 20 November 2009

The Beguiled: The Storyteller 1971

Most Wanted
This is an item I have long been after. Filmed in 1971, during the making of The Beguiled, The Storyteller is the first Documentary short ever directed by Eastwood. Shot in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, under the Malpaso Production Company, it has a running time of 12 minutes.
Although I have only seen short clips from this documentary, it's right up there among my most wanted of Eastwood items. It has never been made commercially avaliable, although I do know it exists of 16mm film, could it be in your attic! If so, drop me a line.
The hunt for this documentary short shouldn't of really been nessasary at all, had Universal seen fit to release it. Why it wasn't added to their DVD release of The Beguiled is totally beyond me? What a superb additional feature this would of made..
I would also of been happy to let them use my set of original radio spots, had they asked nicely!
It has certainly been a long running argument, but I've always believed that the companies involved should at least put out an open call, way in advance of producing these dvd sets. It seems clearly evident to me after all, that it is the fans and real collectors that not only hold the most interesting items, but also have the common sense to know 'what' exactly should be included within that dvd package.
Reminds a little of the closing from The Towering Inferno...
Paul Newman: 'Ok, I'm asking...'
Steve McQueen: 'You know where to find me...'
If it were only that easy!

Above: Eastwood as he appears in The Beguiled: The Storyteller

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at theclinteastwoodarchive.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from this post right above if I provide a backlink back to your website?

Thanks,
Thomas

Clint's archive said...

Hello thomas, could you give a bit more info in regards to where it is to be published? Is it on the web? Or perhaps a publication?
Thanks
TCEA

Anonymous said...

I am really Glad i came across this website.Added theclinteastwoodarchive.blogspot.com to my bookmark!

Clint's archive said...

Many thanks,
Drop by any time
TCEA

west w. said...

Does anyone know the name of the plantation that The Beguiled was filmed at? It is an impossible piece of trivia to find.

ravindranadh said...

is it available to download??
The Beguiled: The Storyteller???

Clint's archive said...

Hi Ravin, Welcome to the Clint Eastwood Archive. I have never seen this on the net or available to download. If ever you come across it, please do let me know.
Thanks for leaving a message.
The Clint Eastwood Archive.

west w. said...

Anyone ever figure out the name of that plantation "The Beguiled" was filmed at?

Clint's archive said...

Hi West W
The location was the Ashland-Belle Helene mansion near Baton Rouge, Louisianna.

Mission Accomplished

TCEA