Thursday 13 April 2017

Flashback: Clint Eastwood takes home Akira Kurosawa Award from S.F. Film Festival

Flashback: Clint Eastwood takes home Akira Kurosawa Award from S.F. Film Festival
Dateline: Friday, April 27, 2001

They played "Misty" for him as the former Man with No Name -- who became one of the biggest names in Hollywood -- strode to the stage to accept the San Francisco International Film Festival's Akira Kurosawa Award for directing. Clint Eastwood told the sold-out crowd at the Argent Hotel on Wednesday night that winning a prize named for the Japanese master has special meaning. "He was the guy I really idolized when I was young. I had always hoped to work with him."
The closest Eastwood came was to star in "A Fistful of Dollars," an Italian remake of Kurosawa's "Yojimbo." "The only problem was the Italians forgot to buy the rights. When it was sorted out, Mr. Kurosawa got all the profits from its release in Asia." That must have made his day.
When the man of the moment returned to his table, he got a big hug from his wife, Dina Ruiz Eastwood. These two really are lovebirds. "We just had our five-year anniversary, and we still hold hands all the time. We're disgusting, " she said, laughing.
Eastwood, 70, is devoted to his 36-year-old wife and their 4-year-old daughter, Morgan. "After my last movie, 'Space Cowboys,' took so much time because of the special effects, I decided I didn't want to do that anymore. I'm spending my time at home," the star told me.
Still, he approves of his wife going back to work hosting "Candid Camera" because it takes her away from their Carmel home only one weekend every few months. "Suzanne Somers used to be the co-host, but I don't think they can afford her anymore. I definitely come cheaper," Ruiz Eastwood said.

No comments: