Monday 2 May 2016

Clint's 'Sully' filmed almost entirely on IMAX

Alex Billington, April 21, 2016, Source: Variety

Step aide Christopher Nolan, its Clint Eastwood who is stepping up and making a movie shot entirely with IMAX cameras. Following the success of American Sniper, Eastwood is now working on his next film Sully, about airplane pilot Captain Sully as played by Tom Hanks, and apparently he's shooting most of the film using IMAX cameras. Variety reports that IMAX CEO Richard Gelfond has confirmed that Eastwood loves the cameras and in fact it may be the first film that will be released fully IMAX after being made entirely with IMAX "technology". Eastwood's longtime cinematographer Tom Stern shot the film on ARRI ALEXA 65 & XT. Not many other details are known yet, but the film has already finished shooting.

Richard Gelfond
"Clint decided to try it and he just loves the cameras," IMAX CEO Richard Gelfond tells Variety. "It will be the first film released where virtually the entire movie was made with the technology."

That's the quote from the Variety article, and there's not much more to it. The film tells the story of Chesley Sullenberger, aka "Sully", who became a hero after gliding his commercial airplane along the water into the Hudson River in 2009, saving all of his 155 passengers. Sully is directed by Eastwood, from a script written by Todd Komarnicki, based on the autobiography Highest Duty. The film stars Tom Hanks, Anna Gunn, Aaron Eckhart, Laura Linney, Holt McCallany, Jamey Sheridan, and Jerry Ferrara. Warner Bros is planning to release Sully in theaters starting on September 9th, 2016. We're still waiting to see a trailer and we're still waiting to see if WB pushes the IMAX angle in their marketing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's not the 31st just yet, but I so want to wish you another VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLINT!! I wonder if this is really your personal site. I wrote to you many years ago after visiting your beautiful Carmel by the sea. I asked if you could have your people send me and my daughters some autographed pictures and I was SO thrilled when I actually received them! I think that was in 1992.... I wish I could spend even a little time talking with you and getting to know you! !
Maybe in another lifetime.... Much admiration and love, Deborah Jones.

Clint's archive said...

Thanks Deborah :)