Saturday 8 July 2017

Incredibly rare 1955 cutting and two superb studio photos

Click to enlarge
Late last night I was contacted by our long time friend Kevin Walsh in California. In the early 80s Kev used to be our American correspondent for the British CEAS (Clint Eastwood Appreciation Society). He remains a good and reliable friend who continuously comes up with some amazing pieces. 
Last night he succeeded in blowing me away with this incredible piece that appeared in The Oakland Tribune on the 23rd of July 1955. I consider myself quite lucky in that I have some nice early pieces on Eastwood, from his modelling days etc., but Kevin really blew me away with this cutting. It’s a fascinating piece of history. Also last night, my friend here in the UK, Kevin Wilkinson came up with another couple of very early studio shots that some of us in the Facebook group had never seen before. Whilst these two photos look stunning and in colour, I do wonder if they have perhaps been colourised? Colourising techniques have certainly come a long way in recent years, and can often leave one questioning if a particular photo perhaps started life in monochrome? However, that’s another argument. In the meantime, they match up with Kevin’s 1955 cutting rather perfectly. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they are both from around the same time period. Thanks guys                          

No comments: