Tuesday 4 December 2018

Don't Let the Old Man In – Single release by Toby Keith

Toby Keith's song 'Don't Let the Old Man In' to be featured in Clint Eastwood's new movie 'The Mule'
Oklahoma singer-songwriter Toby Keith can find songwriting inspiration anywhere - even while riding in a golf cart with a Hollywood icon. The Norman resident earlier this year penned a song inspired by legendary actor and filmmaker Clint Eastwood - and it will be featured in Eastwood's highly anticipated new film. Keith will release as a single Friday "Don't Let the Old Man In," which will also be featured during the end scene and closing credits of Eastwood's upcoming drama The Mule. The connection between the two performers was made in May when Keith participated in Eastwood's annual golf tournament in Carmel, California, and the two shared a cart.
"I was invited to be his partner for three days ... and riding with him was amazing," Keith told me in a recent one-on-one interview at his Toby Keith Foundation's OK Kids Korral in Oklahoma City. When Keith asked Eastwood what he had planned for his May 31 birthday just days away, the four-time Oscar winner said he was leaving the next day to spend three months filming a new movie. Eastwood, 88, shared the story line with Keith. 
"I said, 'What keeps you going?' and he said, 'I get up every day and don't let the old man in.' So, I came home, wrote a song for him called 'Don't Let the Old Man In' and sent it to him. And he put it in his movie," Keith said. "He absolutely loves it. It is a very powerful song, and I probably if it wasn't for the movie really wouldn't have anywhere to go with it. ... It's a very emotional, dramatic piece of music and as good as I've ever done in my life."
"I've met lots of famous people. I've met so many presidents and did a movie with Burt Reynolds. ... And as big as they all are, it was different with him. He was so iconic to me," Keith said of spending time with Eastwood. "He treated me like his son, he treated me great, and I thought, 'Man, I should take this idea he gave me and write it ... and send it to him and say "Hey, you inspired me to write a song so I wanted to tell you thank you for being such a good guy."' And he put it in his movie - and it fits." Written solely by Keith, a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, "Don't Let the Old Man In" is billed as a wearily resolute rebuke to Father Time:

When he rides up on his horse
And you feel that cold bitter wind
Look out your window and smile
Don't let the old man in

Recorded at Nashville's Ocean Way Studio, the song will be available at all digital retailers on Friday.
              

No comments: