Wednesday 26 May 2021

The Passing of Buddy Van Horn

The Passing of Buddy Van Horn

I was saddened to learn this week that Buddy Van Horn, Clint’s regular stunt double, coordinator and director had died earlier this month aged 91.

Buddy was a prolific American stunt man and occasional small part actor, formerly billed as Wayne Van Horn. The son of a veterinarian who ministered to animals at Universal studios, he first worked as a horse wrangler following a stint in the U.S. Army. This earlier expertise as a rider served him well after he joined his brother Jimmy in Hollywood. Van Horn's riding skills were showcased in many westerns of the 50s and 60s. He frequently doubled for Guy Williams on Disney's popular TV series Zorro (1957). He was qually adept at fencing and fight scenes. Van Horn also made his mark in epic swashbucklers like Spartacus (1960) and The War Lord (1965). Major stars he doubled for have included Gregory Peck in Mackenna's Gold (1969), James Stewart in Firecreek (1968) and Henry Fonda in The Cheyenne Social Club (1970). He was latterly best known as a long-standing collaborator of Clint Eastwood in the capacities of stunt double and stunt coordinator The Enforcer (1976), The Gauntlet (1977), Sudden Impact (1983)), and as director on Any Which Way You Can (1980), The Dead Pool (1988), and Pink Cadillac (1989)) and second-unit director on films such as Magnum Force (1973), The Rookie (1990) and Pale Rider (1985). 

Van Horn worked a great deal more with Clint, often uncredited and stretching as far back as Paint your Wagon (1969), The Beguiled (1971) and arguably his most prominent onscreen appearance as Marshal Jim Duncan in High Plains Drifter (1973). Van Horn even worked on daily contracts for Eastwood in film’s that also included the original Dirty Harry (1971) (see contract below). He was a solid and reliable element of Eastwood’s Malpaso team and was an inductee into the Stuntmen's Hall of Fame and a recipient of the Taurus Lifetime Achievement Stunt Award. 

Remembering Buddy by Marneen Lynne Fields

I was deeply saddened this morning as I heard the news of the passing of the great Buddy Van Horn, Stuntman’s Hall of Fame stuntman and stunt coordinator best known for his work on Clint Eastwood’s films. I still remember the day in 1977 as a young stunt woman when I picked up the phone and a man introduced himself saying, “Hi I’m Buddy Van Horn. We’re shooting a movie and Paul Stader gave me your name saying you could do a jump off a moving train.” He was very soft spoken and had kind of a Southern accent. I accepted the job without hesitation and was hired by Buddy right there, over the phone, because of Paul Stader (who discovered me), his belief in me and reference. 

(Left; Marneen, Buddy and Clint during The Gauntlet 1977)

The phone call from Buddy and my work for him on Clint Eastwood’s “The Gauntlet” would change my life overnight and catapult me to the top of the stunt world in Hollywood. It was my first movie, and my backwards jump with a half twist off the moving train in “The Gauntlet” was considered one of the most dangerous stunts performed by a young stunt woman on film in 1977. Paul knew I could do the jump because of my champion gymnastic talent and being able to perform some of Olympic gold medallist Olga Korbut’s moves on floor exercise and balance beam. For the next twelve years, I would not have to hustle work as a stuntwoman because my magical phone would ring every month in the same way with the voice of a stunt coordinator hiring me to perform stunts on the film or primetime TV show they were coordinating. You do a dangerous stunt like that, in a scene opposite the most famous actor/director in the world, and news spreads like a lightning bolt. I was so blessed. To arrive in Arizona and stand with these two giants, Buddy Van Horn and Clint Eastwood, and not only be directed by Clint Eastwood, but also get to do a fight scene with him and then punched off the train by him - all resulted in my career skyrocketing overnight! My jump made all the papers. As I sat up on the ground after my stunt awaiting further instructions, the train came rolling, slowly, backwards to where I was. Mr. Eastwood jumped out of the train and ran over to me. He gave me hug and said, “Thank you Marneen. I loved it!” What I remember most about Buddy was his gracious approach; he was so confident, but without an ego. Clint Eastwood was the director and Buddy knew his role. They both were so amazing to stand in the presence of and work with, handsome also. My work on “The Gauntlet” remains the stunt I’m most famous for. Buddy Van Horn will be deeply missed by everyone who ever met him and for his sensational contribution to films. He certainly changed my life. 


It was reported that Buddy died on May 11th, 2021 with an undisclosed cause of death.
Our sincere condolences go out to his friends and family.
RIP Sir. 

Thank you to Davy Triumph for alerting me of this sad news and our dear friend Marneen Lynne Fields for her memories and kind contribution.

No comments: