Tuesday 15 June 2021

For a Few Dollars More - Rare single from Singapore

 For a Few Dollars More - Rare single from Singapore 

A couple of weeks ago I had the good fortune to come into contact with a UK Record dealer who surprised me by informing me that he had a rather rare Singapore pressing from 1967. The 7” single was a cover version of Morricone’s For a Few Dollars More backed up on the flip side by Coffin for a Gunfighter, which I believe is either an alternative title for Django (1966) or at least one of its sequels. These films were produced so quickly, the genre became something of a minefield. It's not entirely sure if this pressing was even a legal one, it’s not the original recording of course. 

In this instance both tracks are performed by ‘Charlie and his Orchestra’ just one of many inferior cover versions that were being released all over the place at the time, such was their popularity. In all fairness, these are not too hard to endure, I’ve certainly heard worse.   

So I was aware of this release, as the cover insert contains a great image of Eastwood and Van Cleef taking on Indio’s gang members in the street shootout. I was also aware that there were two pressings of this from the same year (a Red and a Green label version), This particular version that surfaced was on the Red label (both carried the same Car No Star Swan ‎– SS 3). As I was offered it at a very reasonable price, I naturally accepted it. 

On its arrival I was both shocked and surprised to find that the package contained two copies, both in their identical sleeves, but the records were both the Red and the Green label versions. I was completely delighted of course. It seemed the seller was really impressed with our work here on the Archive, found the other version and kindly included it for my collection. Some people really do restore my faith, proving that it isn't always just about the money, So Alan, thank you sir, you are a complete gentleman. 



No comments: