Monday 31 January 2022

The strange case of the UK Richard Jewell Blu-ray….

The strange case of the UK Richard Jewell Blu-ray….

I hold my hands up. It’s been a long while now, but I have to concede - I have absolutely no idea what is going on in regards to the UK Blu-ray release of Richard Jewell, or should I say the lack of it? I’ve hunted high and low for any information regarding this mystery as I’ve been patiently wanting to add the Blu-ray to my collection, as have many of Clint’s UK fans. 

After contacting Warner Brothers here in the UK, with a simple question - where is the Richard Jewell Blu-ray? It seems that my request has fallen upon deaf ears. My question is simply being ignored. It’s a little disheartening as I ask this question, not only for me, but on behalf of Clint’s fan base here in the UK. We’ve just been left in the dark. I thought Warner Brothers and even Clint himself would be appreciative that fans still want to buy Clint’s movies - the fans are both loyal and supportive and yet, we don’t even seem to be able to acquire the latest movie, because it is seemingly unavailable here in the UK? It seems incredible? 

As there seems to be no UK Blu-ray release I have finally resorted to importing a European copy, which certainly isn't ideal, but more of a necessity. I have opted for a Dutch edition, which should be Region B being part of Europe. Other editions such as Italian, German etc are available, and should all contain the original English language or there is of course the U.S. edition. Whilst most U.S. Warner Brothers releases tend to be Region Free, I would urge anyone just to double check before committing to buying. As I am aware - the Dutch edition contains bonus material such as The real story of Richard Jewell and a making of the movie. I have no idea of the duration for these featurettes as I am waiting for delivery. 

This is something that could have of course been avoided. I just don’t think it's good enough really. But there you have it. I can only wonder what is going to happen when it comes to the Cry Macho Blu-ray release. It would be nice if Warner Brothers could let us know, but I won’t hold my breath. I will naturally endeavour to let fans know, should I get any official word from Warner Brothers.

1 comment:

Antony said...

Hello,
I understand your frustration with Warners releases of Clint on Blu Ray in the UK. I resorted to the USA release of Richard Jewell and can confirm that it is Region Free. I recently also purchased the USA release of Cry Macho on Blu Ray and can also confirm that it is Region Free as well. There is also a lovely Steelbook Blu Ray of Cry Macho available through Amazon Germany. Although it contains the same extras as the USA Blu Ray its nice to have an Eastwood Steelbook to add to the collection. The only frustration with these releases is the lack of the theatrical trailer as part of the extras.
Thank you for all that you do with the blog. It is a rich resource for fans like myself and wonderful to see so much material I've never seen before anywehre else.

Regards,
Antony.