Monday 18 May 2020

Jay Leno reveals Clint’s Cowboy Favourites LP on TV

Here’s a great little excerpt that was sent to me by our administrator Davy Triumph. By the clues given (the release of Letters from Iwo Jima and it’s Oscar nominations, the talk of the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLI and Clint’s upcoming Golf tournament at Pebble Beach) I would have to date this as February 2007, quite probably the 5th. It’s a great lighthearted exchange, as Clint and Jay are old friends – as you may recall Clint used Jay and his show within Space Cowboys (2000). However, what really makes this clip for me, is the moment Jay questions Clint about his singing ‘career; and surprises Clint by pulling out his $500 dollar purchase of the Cowboy Favourites LP (1962). It’s nice to see a valuation of it on TV – just as much as seeing it actually on TV! I remember purchasing this album myself, way before this was ever broadcast and I paid somewhere in the region of $200. A reminder that the LP was later re-released in 2016 on  Brown Tobacco vinyl and on various CDs which has now seen the original Cameo release fall more considerably in price. However, it’s a great moment, Clint’s embarrassment when they choose to run a sound bite from his album version of Cole Porter’s ‘Don’t fence me in’ is a moment to savour. 
               

No comments: