Thursday 23 September 2021

Dollar Quad Poster mock ups

Dollar Quad Poster mock ups

I recently found these in a large picture file which I have been slowly working through. The world of poster mock-ups is a really curious entity. It is often just a harmless bit of fun where amateur artists and designers provide alternative concepts to the original official designs issued by the studios. We have a host of examples here

So, I recently re-discovered these 4 mock up quads from A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Their concept was obviously inspired from the official A Fistful of Dollars 4K cinema release of 2018 – with their superb, gritty monochrome designs. What has always impressed me about these mock up designs is that they are just so damn good. I guess a lot of it has to do with the advances of technology – where one can just sit in front of a PC or Laptop and roll off one of these beautiful examples in no time at all. 

Of course, there were a few who didn’t like the 4K experience of A Fistful of Dollars. I think immediately of maverick director Quentin Tarantino (who was invited to help present the film in Cannes) and claimed that seeing it left him ‘depressed’. 

‘I just had a really uncomfortable experience in Cannes […] because they had the 50th anniversary of ‘Fistful Of Dollars’. They showed this 4K restoration. I have an IB Technicolor, a beautiful Techniscope print of ‘Fistful of Dollars’ —I could have brought that’ 

That statement by Tarantino always brings a smile to my face – like we can all be afforded the luxury of owning an IB Technicolor, Techniscope print of A Fistful of Dollars, right?

Nevertheless, I know the director is a fan, and loves movie posters. So while he has some issues with the 4K presentation, I’m pretty positive he could certainly live with these mock up posters should they had existed in the real world. 

I have posted the official 4K release poster (for comparison) at the top, followed by the four mock up designs which were recreated in the same unique style. 

(below: This first mock up actually features a shot from For a Few Dollars More)

No comments: