Wednesday 22 September 2021

The passing of friend and author Patrick Agan

The passing of friend and author Patrick Agan 

Some sad news for the Eastwood circle of friends:

I went to catch up with an old friend earlier last week, the author Patrick Agan. Patrick’s book on Eastwood ‘The Man behind the Myth’ was the first book I ever bought on Clint and was a true inspiration. It was only the paperback version that arguably most people had from around 1977, but later in life Patrick became a real and genuine friend and we stayed in touch. Later he would send me a first edition hardback copy of that book with a beautiful dedication inside, and then he donated a great deal of his original research material over to me to hold, saying he wanted it to go to a good home. Patrick was a truly lovely man. I had not heard from Patrick in a little while, so set out to drop him a line and generally catch up - as Cry Macho was about to be released – it was only then that I learnt the sad news that Patrick had passed away on July 4th, 2018 at the age of 75.

I really couldn’t believe it. I guess we sometimes just take it for granted that friends are always going to be there – and of course the damn years pass so fast...

Anyway - I thought I would just let the fans know. I wanted to put a little something together here on the Archive, just in order to honour his memory, and because of his overall inspiration and kindness. RIP my friend, you’ll be sorely missed.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is sad news.



Patrick Agan was a very talented writer and a nice guy!

He shared a tape with me of his interview with Lois Kibbee about working with Frances Farmer on her autobiography.......

Rest in peace.