Wednesday 29 March 2023

Clint Eastwood: Affluent Golfer, Rare Magazine Cover


Clint Eastwood: Affluent Golfer, Rare Magazine Cover
It’s not unusual to see Clint with a Golf club in his hand, there are pictures of him dating right back to the Rawhide days. If the opportunity presented itself, and if Clint hadn’t taken on the duties of directing, he would often be seen practising his swing in between camera set ups. 

I was sifting through some magazines and magazine covers that I have accumulated over the decades when I came across a wonderful cover for a magazine called Affluent Golfer. As this was just a cover it unfortunately did not reveal a publishing date, although I have a niggling suspicion, I may also have the corresponding article for this elsewhere in the collection? But don’t quote me on that! I need to dig deeper.

However, I was trying to look for some kind of reference to this issue on the web and came up with absolutely nothing, just locating the publication itself didn’t turn up too many results – so I’m flagging up this particular issue as a very rare one indeed. It features a cracking cover shot of Clint seemingly hitch-hiking his way to Pebble Beach with Golf bag slung over his shoulder!
 
The most recognised magazine featuring Clint in Golfing attire is arguably the March 2005 issue of Architectural Digest, which took a look inside his Carmel Golf Club. This magazine often pops up on auction sites, unlike the Affluent Golfer magazine. 

I will make a concerted effort to try and locate that article – just in order to satisfy my own curiosity and see if this cover and the article I have in mind do belong together. If it does, I’ll certainly scan the article and add the pages to this post. But in the meantime, a good reason to enjoy this super cover photo.       

Below: Affluent Golfer Magazine cover, date unknown
Below: The more commonly seen Architectural Digest Magazine from March, 2005
Below: An alternative shot taken from the Architectural Digest photo session

No comments: